- ‘In 2015, 71% of all UK citizens had a smartphone; 88% of adults used the internet’. Ipsos MORI (2015) Ipsos Connect Tech Tracker Q3 2015. www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Docs/Publications/Ipsos_Connect_Tech_Tracker_Q3_2015.pdf
- ‘The average adult spends almost 2 hours a day online on their smart phone; 33% of users see their smartphone as the most important device for going online’. Ofcom (2015) The Communications Market Report. August. http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/research/cmr/cmr15/CMR_UK_2015.pdf
- ‘Only 2% of the population report any digitally enabled transaction with the NHS’. National Information Board/UK Government (2014) Personalised Health and Care 2020: Using Data and Technology to Transform Outcomes for Patients and Citizens. A Framework for Action. www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/384650/NIB_Report.pdf
- ‘43,000 medical apps are now available on iTunes; 500 million people around the world will use a healthcare app this year’. Becker’s Healthcare (2013) Becker’s Health IT and CIO Review: ‘How to Further Integrate Patient-Facing Apps in Healthcare (and the Top-Rated Apps)’. http://www.beckershospitalreview.com/healthcare-information-technology/how-to-further-integrate-patient-facing-apps-in-healthcare-and-the-top-rated-apps.html
- ‘50% of the UK population use the internet for self-diagnosis, while 75% search the web for health information’. Department of Health and UK Trade and Investment (2015) ‘The UK: your partner for digital health solutions’. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-uk-your-partner-for-digital-health-solutions
- ‘A 2012 survey of 7,000 patients found that…’. Patient.co.uk (2012) Patient survey, 2012.
- ‘108 out of 176 CCGs in the UK were commissioning telehealth services in 2013/14: a total spend of £15.2 million in that year.’ Good Governance Institute (2014) Keeping the NHS Great: Delivering technology-enabled care services. www.good-governance.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Keeping-the-NHS-Great-report.pdf
- ‘Just 14% of over-65s in the UK have access to telecare services (e.g. fall alarms etc)’. Empirica and WRC (2010) ICT & Ageing European Study on Users, Markets and Technologies: Final Report. http://ec.europa.eu/newsroom/dae/document.cfm?action=display&doc_id=952 ‘4.7 million people in Europe used a connected care system in 2013. This is projected to grow to 13.7 million by 2019’. Berg Insight (2014) Connected Care in Europe. www.berginsight.com/ReportPDF/ProductSheet/bi-cc1-ps.pdf
Electronic health records
- Over 96% of GP practices have installed digital clinical record systems; under 4% offer patients online access to their records’. National Information Board/UK Government (2014) Personalised Health and Care 2020: Using Data and Technology to Transform Outcomes for Patients and Citizens. A Framework for Action. www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/384650/NIB_Report.pdf
- ‘Worldwide, 40%of health care organisations reported a cyber-attack in 2013 – double that reported in 2009’. WinterGreen Research (2015) Telemedicine And M-Health Convergence: Market Shares, Strategies, And Forecasts, Worldwide, 2013 To 2019. http://www.reportsnreports.com/reports/268227-telemedicine-and-m-health-convergence-market-shares-strategies-and-forecasts-worldwide-2013-to-2019.html
- ‘Between 2011 and 2014 the NHS suffered over 7,000 breaches of data; that’s six data breaches every day’. Big Brother Watch (2014) NHS Data Breaches: A Big Brother Watch Report, November. www.bigbrotherwatch.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/EMBARGO-0001-FRIDAY-14-NOVEMBER-BBW-NHS-Data-Breaches-Report.pdf
See full page for full set of references.