1. Data are for qualified general practitioners in England.
2. The number of qualified GPs, excluding registrars, start from December 2017 on the chart. The higher GP locum numbers reported in March 2017 are not comparable to previous figures in the time series due to indications that additional guidance has led to more accurate reporting of this group.
3. The initial target of 5,000 more GPs by 2020 begins in the quarter following the publication of the GP Forward View (end of June 2016) and extends to the end of the 2020 calendar year. The most recent target of 6,000 additional GPs by 2024/25 starts at Q4 of 2019/20 on the chart (March 2020), following the 2019 General Election, and ends in Q4 of 2024/25 (March 2025).
4. NHS Digital identified a very likely under-reporting of staff in the March 2020 general practice workforce data. These numbers may be refreshed in due course.
5. As of October 2020, NHS Digital have changed their publication cycle for the General Practice Workforce Statistics from quarterly to monthly. NHS Digital have caveated the data reported for October and November 2020, noting this publication change led to a decrease in the quality and completeness of the data. We have therefore excluded these figures for these months.
NHS Digital’s General Practice Workforce Statistics