Professor Dame Carol Black DBE, MD, FRCP, MACP, FMedSci is Principal of Newnham College Cambridge, Expert Adviser on Health and Work to the Department of Health, England and Chairman of the Governance Board of the Centre for Workforce Intelligence. She was chair of the Nuffield Trust between 2006 and 2016.
In November 2011 she completed as Co-Chair an independent review for the UK Government of sickness absence in Britain, to which the Government has recently responded.
Professor Black is a past-President of the Royal College of Physicians, of the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges, and of the British Lung Foundation. The Centre she established at the Royal Free Hospital in London is internationally renowned for research and treatment of connective tissue diseases such as scleroderma.
Since the early 1990s, Professor Black has worked at board level in a number of organisations, including the Royal Free Hospital Hampstead NHS Trust, the Health Foundation, the NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement, and the Imperial College Healthcare Charity, and she has chaired the UK Health Honours Committee.
She has been a member of several national committees aiming to improve health care, is a foreign affiliate of the US Institute of Medicine, and has been awarded many honorary degrees and fellowships.
Dame Carol was appointed Principal of Newnham College in Cambridge University in September 2012, is a Trustee of the National Portrait Gallery, and is a member of the committee for the Queen’s Awards for Voluntary Service.
- Shifting Perspectives (community interest company)
- The Work Foundation Alliance Ltd (company limited by guarantee)
- National Portrait Gallery
- Uppingham School
- Chairing the Board of the Institute of Cardiovascular Medicine and Science of Royal Brompton and Harefield NHS Foundation Trust (Company limited by guarantee)
- Chair of Governance Board of Centre for Workforce Intelligence
- Member of Health at Work Community Interest Company
- Member of Main Committee for the Queen’s Awards for Voluntary Service