Publications and outputs
A comprehensive list of the ever-growing collection of journal papers, pre-prints, blogs, explainers, slide sets and conference contributions that have been generated from the RSET programme so far.
Herlitz L, Crellin N, Vindrola-Padros C, Ellins J, Georghiou T, Litchfield I, Massou E, Ng PL, Chris Sherlaw-Johnson, Sidhu MS, Tomini SM, Walton H, Fulop NJ. Patient and staff experiences of using technology-enabled and analogue models of remote home monitoring for COVID-19 in England: A mixed-method evaluation. International Journal of Medical Informatics 179, November 2023, 105230. (published September 2023)
Smith J, Ellins J, Sherlaw-Johnson C, Vindrola-Padros C, Appleby J, Morris SJ, Sussex J and Fulop NJ (2023) Rapid evaluation of service innovations in health and social care: key considerations. Health and Social Care Delivery Research 11(11). (published July 2023)
Appleby J, Georghiou T, Ledger J, Rolewicz L, Sherlaw-Johnson C, Tomini SM, Frerich JM and Ng PL (2023) Youth violence intervention programme for vulnerable young people attending emergency departments in London: a rapid evaluation. Health and Social Care Delivery Research 11(10). (published July 2023)
Sidhu M, Walton H, Crellin N, Ellins J, Herlitz L, Litchfield I, Massou E, Tomini SM, Vindrola-Padros C, Fulop N (2023). Staff experiences of training and delivery of remote home monitoring services for patients diagnosed with COVID-19 in England: A mixed-methods study. (published June 2023)
- Walton H, Crellin NE, Sidhu MS, Sherlaw-Johnson C, Herlitz L, Litchfield I, Georghiou T, Tomini SM, Massou E, Ellins J, Sussex J, Fulop NJ. (2023) Undertaking rapid evaluations during the COVID-19 pandemic: Lessons from evaluating COVID-19 remote home monitoring services in England. (published February 2023)
- Sidhu M, Litchfield I, Miller R, Fulop NJ, Janta B, Tanner J, Mastrello, G, Bousfield, J, Vindrola-Padros, C, Sussex, J (2022). Using pulse oximeters in care homes for residents with COVID-19 and other conditions: a rapid mixed-methods evaluation (published December 2022)
- Fulop, NJ, et al. (2022) A Rapid Mixed Methods Evaluation of Remote Home Monitoring Models During the COVID-19 Pandemic in England NIHR Journals Library (web report) (published November 2022)
- Sidhu M S, Ford GA, Fulop NJ, Roberts M. (2022). Learning networks in the pandemic: mobilising evidence for improvement. BMJ (published October 2022)
- Ramsay, A. et al. (2022) Prehospital video triage of potential stroke patients in North Central London and East Kent: rapid mixed-methods service evaluation. Health and Social Care Delivery Research (published September 2022)
- Walton, H, et al. (2022) Patients’ and carers’ experiences of, and engagement with remote home monitoring services for COVID-19 patients: a rapid mixed-methods study. Health Expectations (published in July 2022)
- Walton, H, Tomini, S.M., Ng, P.L. & Fulop, N.J. (2022) How is social care provided in UK adult prisons? British Journal of Social Care (published in August 2022)
- Georghiou, T. et al. (2022) The impact of post-hospital remote monitoring of COVID-19 patients using pulse oximetry: a national observational study using hospital activity data. eClinicalMedicine (published in June 2022)
- Vindrola-Padros, C., et. al. (2021) The Special Measures for Quality and Challenged Provider Regimes in the English NHS: A Rapid Evaluation of a National Improvement Initiative for Failing Healthcare Organisations. International Journal of Health Policy and Management (published April 2022)
- Sherlaw-Johnson, C. et al. (2022) The impact of remote home monitoring of people with COVID-19 using pulse oximetry: A national population and observational study. eClinicalMedicine (published in March 2022)
- Greenhalgh, T., Knight, M., Inada-Kin, M., Fulop, NJ., Leach, J., Vindrola-Padros, C.. (2021) Remote Management of covid-19 using home pulse oximetry and virtual ward support. BMJ (published in March 2021)
- Vindrola-Padros C, et al. (2021) The implementation of remote home monitoring models during the COVID-19 pandemic in England. Lancet eClinicalMedicine (published April 2021)
- Vindrola-Padros C, et al. (2021) Remote home monitoring (virtual wards) for confirmed or suspected COVID-19 patients: a rapid systematic review. eClinicalMedicine (published July 2021)
- Cowan, K., Fulop, N.J., Harshfield, A., Ng, P.L., Ntouva, A., Sidhu, M., Sussex, J., Tomini, S.M. & Walton, H. (2021) Rapid prioritisation of topics for rapid evaluation: the case of innovations in adult social care and social work. Health Research Policy and Systems (Link)
- Vindrola-Padros, C, et al. (2020) The Implementation of Improvement Interventions for ‘Low Performing’ and ‘High Performing’ Organisations in Health, Education and Local Government: A Phased Literature Review. International Journal of Health Policy and Management (published November 2020)
- Fulop, N, et. al. (2020) Rapid Evaluation of the Special Measures for Quality and Challenged Provider Regimes: A Mixed-Methods Study, Health Services and Delivery Research (published as Web report May 2020).
- Appleby J, et al. (2022) Topic report: Youth violence intervention programme for vulnerable young people attending emergency departments in London: a rapid evaluation (published as Web Report November 2022)
Blogposts and other outputs
- Appleby, J – Evaluating a hospital-based youth violence intervention programme. Nuffield Trust blog
- Vindrola Padros C – What is rapid research and why is it relevant for health care? Nuffield Trust blog
- Ledger J and Sherlaw-Johnson C - Evaluating, fast and slow: reflections from the Rapid Evaluation Conference. Nuffield Trust blog
- Vindrola-Padros C, Fulop N and Greenhalgh T – Virtual wards: caring for COVID-19 patients at home could save lives. The Conversation article and Nuffield Trust blog
- Walton H – Rapidly prioritising innovations in adult social care for evaluation: Q&A with Dr Holly Walton. Nuffield Trust blog
- Fulop N and Sherlaw-Johnson C – Special measures for quality: Q&A on impact of improvement interventions in NHS trusts. Nuffield Trust blog
- Ramsay A – Pre-hospital triage for potential stroke patients: A Q&A with Angus Ramsay
- Walton H and Fulop N – Virtual wards and Covid-19: An explainer. Nuffield Trust explainer
- Reed S, Crellin N. Patient-initiated follow-up: does it work, why it matters, and can it help the NHS recover? Nuffield Trust, 2022.
- Reed, S and Crellin, N. Evidence review of patient-initiated follow-up (PIFU) by Sarah Reed & Nadia Crellin (published August 2022)
- Pulse oximetry in care homes during the COVID-19 pandemic by Dr Manbinder Sidhu and Prof Naomi Fulop. (published March 2022)
- Sarah Reed presented at the NHS Confed roundtable “Harnessing the value of PIFU in an Evolving Healthcare System” with a presentation titled: “PIFU: emerging findings from a rapid evaluation” (December 2022).
- Sarah Reed and Nadia Crellin. Patient-initiated follow-up: Findings from the first phase of a mixed methods evaluation. Presentation to the Northwest Outpatients Pathway Evaluation Task & Finish Group, December 2022
- Theo Georghiou and Nadia Crellin. Patient-initiated follow-up: Findings from the first phase of a mixed methods evaluation. PIFU regional leads meeting, November 2022.
- Chris Sherlaw-Johnson and Sarah Reed. PIFU: Emerging findings and learning. National PIFU webinar organised by NHS England, September 2022.
- Prof Naomi Fulop and Chris Sherlaw-Johnson presented Special Measures for Quality and Challenged Providers: Evaluation of the Impact of Improvement Interventions in NHS Trusts to NHSE&I, November 2019.
- Prof Naomi Fulop and Chris Sherlaw-Johnson presented Special Measures for Quality and Challenged Providers: Evaluation of the Impact of Improvement Interventions in NHS Trusts to the Joint Strategic Oversight Group, January 2020.
Slide sets and recordings
- A slide set of findings from phase 1 of a mixed methods evaluation for Patient-initiated follow-up, December 2022.
- Dr Angus Ramsay led a webinar recording of Prehospital video triage for stroke – breaking findings and future (LINK), October 2022.
- Dr Holly Walton presented at a webinar on What needs to happen if remote monitoring is to truly enhance patient outcomes and system efficiencies? (LINK), October 2022.
- A slide set of findings from three independent evaluations of the NHS COVID Oximetry @home programme completed by RSET and BRACE, the Improvement Analytics Unit (Health Foundation), and Imperial College London, November 2021.
- A slide set of findings from phase 1 of Rapid evaluation of remote home monitoring models during COVID-19 pandemic in England completed by RSET and BRACE, October 2020.
- Dr Angus Ramsay. Prehospital Triage findings. HSR UK 2022 conference.
- Dr Holly Walton. Combining multiple approaches in the evaluation of healthcare services: lessons learned from COVID-19 remote monitoring services. HSR UK 2022 Conference.
- Dr Angus Ramsay. Pre-hospital Triage findings. UK Stroke Forum 2022 conference.
- Dr Angus Ramsay. Findings from Pre-hospital triage workshop with NHS England and national pilot leads. UK Stroke Forum 2022 conference.
- Dr Angus Ramsay. Presentation of findings from Prehospital Triage. Stroke Reperfusion UK 2022 conference.
- Dr Angus Ramsay (RSET and BRACE joint workshop). Plenary session: How is evaluation helping inform the recovery? evaluation approaches and policy implications. Rapid Evaluation 2022 conference.
- Dr Angus Ramsay. Prehospital video triage for suspected stroke: lessons from a rapid, mixed-method evaluation of services implemented in two regions of the National Health Service in England poster. European Stroke Organisation Conference (ESOC) 2022.
- Dr Holly Walton, Chris Sherlaw-Johnson and Dr Nadia Crellin. Understanding the impact of COVID Oximetry @home programme among COVID-19 patients in England. HSR UK 2021 conference.
- Prof Naomi Fulop, Prof Steve Morris and Prof Cecilia Vindrola. Covid Virtual Ward (phase 1) study. Rapid Evaluation 2021 conference.
- Prof Naomi Fulop and Chris Sherlaw-Johnson. Special measures for quality and challenged providers: the study protocol for evaluating the impact of improvement interventions in NHS Trusts. Leaders in Healthcare 2020 conference.
- Prof Naomi Fulop, Dr Jean Ledger and Chris Sherlaw-Johnson. Addressing failure and turnaround in health care organisations: a review of current approaches and experiences across NHS providers. HSR UK 2020 conference
- Dr Holly Walton. Rapid prioritisation of adult social care innovations for evaluation: Reflections and considerations. HSR UK 2020 conference.
- Prof Steve Morris. How can health economic evaluation be undertaken rapidly. Rapid Evaluation 2020 conference.
- Prof Cecilia Vindrola-Padros. Rapid qualitative evaluation to inform decision making. Rapid Evaluation 2020 conference.
- Chris Sherlaw-Johnson and Dr Jean Ledger. Evaluations of national programmes using mixed methods. Rapid Evaluation 2020 conference.
- Naomi Fulop and Chris Sherlaw-Johnson. Emerging findings from the SMQ project at the NHSI/E Intensive Support conference, February 2020.
- Prof Cecilia Vindrola and Dr Jean Ledger. Rapid ethnography and organisational case studies. Rapid Evaluation 2019 conference.
- Crellin, N, et al. (2022) Examining disparities relating to service reach, patient access and engagement with COVID-19 remote home monitoring services in England: a mixed methods evaluation. (Pre-print).
- Morris, J. Georghiou, T., Appleby, J (2021). Changes in English NHS outpatient activity during the early Covid-19 period. (Pre-print)